Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:21:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing STABLE

Hi,

Sorry, but it seems that I was not very clear.
So I am explaining what I've done, stepwise:

1) installed the PII (build machine) with i686 optimizations
2) cd /usr/src; make clean; make cleandir;
   AND removed /usr/obj/* (according to the instructions in handbook).
3) changed CPUTYPE to i586 in /etc/make.conf
4) cd /usr/src; make buildworld
after buildworld finished ok. make installworld on a i586 and I was
getting the errors. But this world is build with i586 so it should work!
But it isn't! What I am doing wrong?

> this is the normal behaviour : you have compiled all of your utilities
> to use i686-specific optimizations (CPUTYPE=i686), then try to use one
> of these utilities (the newly built "install") on an i586 machine, which
> lacks some of the i686-specific instruction codes.
>
> I also recently did almost the same mistake, compiling an application on
> a fast p-III, with i686 instruction codes, to see it dumping core when
> run on a p5-200.
>
> there are two solutions :
>
> - compile your world and kernel with only the i586 optimizations, and
> then share the same binaries between the i686 and i586 machines or
>
> - compile twice the world, once for i686 machines, and another time for
> i586 machines
>
> 	TfH

Regards,
Gheorghe Ardelean