Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:04:11 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "John Nielsen" <lists@jnielsen.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ray <ray@stilltech.net>
Subject:   Re: Mail server recomendations (was: is the list the right place toask?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Nielsen" <lists@jnielsen.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: "Ray" <ray@stilltech.net>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: Mail server recomendations (was: is the list the right place
toask?)

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 01:33, Ray wrote:
> > I'm looking for a package (or set of packages) that would provide a mail
> > server with the following capabilities
> >
> > minimally:
> > pop and smtp access that could handle 20 to 100 domains and 200 to 2000
> > mail boxes.(allowing some room for future growth)
>
> SMTP: sendmail is part of the base system and is pretty powerful but has a
> steep learning curve. There are alternatives available in the ports, one
of
> the more popular being postfix. Others such as qmail may also be worth
> researching.

I would caution anyone against using the alternatives.  There are a lot of
people
that use them successfully, but sendmail is far more popular in terms of
total
installs - this is no doubt because it is used in the larger mail servers on
the
Internet, and the alternatives are more used on home or small servers.  The
reason you want to use Sendmail is that once you learn how to use it, that
is knowledge that you have a much higher chance of re-using in the future.

> I use clamAV on my mailserver, works great and keeps itself up-to-date
> pretty well. Easy integration with sendmail via a milter. For spam you'll
> likely want a combination of techniques. SpamAssassin is a good starting
> point. Also look at the DNS black- or greylisting features of your SMTP
> program (I use a couple realtime DNS blacklists with sendmail).

you can also use greylist-milter with sendmail, it works well.

Ted