Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:21:10 -0800
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "stan" <stanb@panix.com>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Help getting Compaq Wireless LAN card working

> Subject: Help getting Compaq Wireless LAN card working
>

> I am trying to get my Compaq wireless LAN card for my N410C working.
>
> I've looked at:
>
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7121/sam0205a/sam0205a.htm
>
> Given that information, I've added the apropriate itmes to my kernle (It's
> a device awi Prisim chipset, right?).
Did you rebuild your kernel with the correct driver installed. I have
glanced
over the site but didnt actually see a note about adding the wi driver (or
any
other driver), but I didnt look all that well.

Is this a PCMCIA card? If so, what does "pccardc dumpcis" say?

> Now when I boot the machine I get the following in dmesg:
>
> ugen0: Compaq Computers Compaq WLAN MultiPort W200, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2
> and if config looks like this:
>
> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 205.159.77.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 205.159.77.255
> 		ether 00:d0:59:c6:41:bf media: Ethernet autoselect
> (10baseT/UTP)
> 		status: active lp0:
> flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> 		mtu 1500
> faith0: flags=8003<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> 	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 ppp0:
> flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
> 	mtu 1500
> sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
>
> So it's the faith0 device, right?
No, faith0 is an IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay capturing interface.

It doesnt appear to be seeing your card. Normally you would have
a device like wi0 listed as well.

> But when I run:
>
> brown2# wicontrol -f 7
> wicontrol: SIOCSWAVELAN: Device not configured
The machine is not seeing the wireless network card.
I dont even have that ethernet card, and I get the exact same message.

> So, what steps have I left out? Or am I confused?
Slightly confused. Make sure your kernel configuration has
a driver for the wireless ethernet card.