Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:19:30 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Said asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami):
>  * From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
>  * This, then is a shortcoming of the ports system; we need at least two
>
> It is not a shortcoming of the system; it is a policy decision.

OK :-) it is a shortcoming of the policy decision.

>                                                                  We
> don't want people upgrading their systems and losing packages
> installed in /bin because they only backed up /etc and
> /usr/{local,X11R6}.  (It's assumed that people using ports have a
> little more clue than those who only use packages, that's why I don't
> see a problem with such a thing being a port.)

Give the people proper tools and this is no longer a problem.
EG: portscheck(1) is a (not yet wtitten) tool that could compare
/var/db/pkg with what you have and whine in appropriate ways.
I could write this in a day or three if you reckon it is warranted...

> If we are going to decide to allow ports/packages for things like the
> following, it is fine by me.
>
>  * 1) statically linked and installed in (say) /local/{bin|sbin} (which is
>  * in the root filesystem).
>  *
>  * 2) kernel modules.

Cool!