Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:47:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vassilis Laganakos <vassilis.laganakos@yahoo.com>
To:        Guillaume Ballet <gballet@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, chuckr@telenix.org
Subject:   Re: ARMv7 - EABI - Cross Compiler

> > Doesn't xdev build the 4.2.1 version of gcc, like what's in the tree now?

> > That's unacceptable to me, gcc didn't bring in support for the Cortex-A8
> > processor until 4.3.0.  I was able to build a cross-gcc easily using a target
> of
> > "arm-linux-gnueabi", but I'm not sure if that sort of gcc will do for building
> > FreeBSD.  I'll worry about getting that gcc into the build, but will it work
> for
> > me on a binary basis?
> >

> I used arm-none-eabi to compile my loader for the BeagleBoard so as to
> get rid of the linux-specific stuff by default. But maybe you should
> define something like arm-freebsd-eabi in gcc's build configuration?

The arm-none-eabi will give you stuff for bare-metal applications, and the
arm-linux-eabi (or arm-linux-gnueabi)  will give you stuff for linux. For FreeBSD now,
from what I've read there is no arm-freebsd-eabi; I tried that when I built GCC 4.4.1
and it wouldn't accept it.

What I've build is arm-unknown-freebsd, although the "unknown" part could
be ommited. Please bear with me while I look for the URL I found the naming
conventions...

Thanks,
Vasi