Date:      09 Jan 1997 21:18:23 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   arbitrary processes dying

Just recently, processes on my 2.1.5 system have been getting
killed. The memory load hasn't been great: I have 32MB, and am running
XFree 3.2, fvwm, XEmacs 19.14, and g++ 2.7.2.1. Up til yesterday,
never had a problem. Now, today, g++ might die with a Bus error,
sometimes taking down the XEmacs parent process with it. Once even
took down X too. A couple of times inetd has croaked.

Swap usage gets to about 25% before this happens.

Here's a question: on a one-disk install, where is the slice for the
swap partition put by default? If it's the end, I might have the same
"creeping bad sector disease" on my Seagate that I had half a year
ago (supposedly repaired. hah. last time I buy a Seagate
anything. another SG hd of mine severely kicked the bucket three days
ago.)

If the swap partition isn't at the end, any clues or hints at what to
look for?

If it is at the end, can I repartition *and retain data* so as to move
it oh say 75MB forward. Basically I want to chop off 70MB of my /usr
partition and give it to the swap partition.  (This of course would be
merely a short term solution. The drive'll have to be replaced.)

-jay