Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:17:05 +0100
From:      Gianni Vialetto <g.vialetto@gmail.com>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update problems

2012/1/7 Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>:
> [...]
> 1. I am clearly running 8.2-p5, but the final message says "no updates
> needed". That's clearly not correct since p5 < p8. And running uname again
> after this results in still seeing p5.

That's not really true.
Unless an update upgrades the kernel, the result of "uname -a" will
not change. For it to change, you have to recompile the kernel
yourself - using the generic of a custom configuration.

Your current release level is the fourth field in
/var/db/freebsd-update/tag, IIRC.

--
Gianni Vialetto
"To see things in the seed, that is genius." - Lao Tzu