Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:50:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
To:        "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: disaster recovery after rootkit -> MySQL and user accounts

> mysql daemon will not start

   Piece o' cake man...

   I've copied many a binary .ISM file between systems and never had a
problem- I just recently copied quite a lot of data from a redhat box to
FreeBSD without any glitches simply by scp'ing the whole mysql datadir. I
doubt Debian does anything too terribly different.

   MySQL has its own data file format(s) so there's not a lot to worry
about except in HUGE version jumps. MySQL is *very* good about remaining
backward compatible, and allowing for easy "upconvert" of data.

   The only trouble I've had has been moving database files from FreeBSD
to a Mac OS-X, and I suspect that's more an Endian-ness issue.

-=Jim=-