Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:10:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>, Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed" on recent 3.1-stable

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, does not a "make installworld" do this?  It looked like my boot
> > > blocks were current (as of when I did the installworld) and I did do a
> > >
> > > disklabel -B da0
> >
> > Why did you leave off the -b and -s flags (as shown in disklabel(5)) ?
>
> Because they are not needed? :-)

My philosophy is, first do things precisely as they are explained in the
manual.  If it still fails, you have a baseline.  Too many times, in
troubleshooting, one makes assumptions, even wholly defensible ones like
the boot default files, and it makes you look stupid later on when they
are proven false.  It's a tiny test, costs nothing, and stops you from
looking foolish later on.

FWIW, yes, it *should* work as advertised, I read it before I posted,
but trust *nothing* when troubleshooting.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).