Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:10:10 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?V=E1clav?= Haisman <V.Haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Kevin Downey <redchin@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Duplicate IPFW rules

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 08:53:07PM +0100, Václav Haisman wrote:
> Huh, really? How is it useful? Please, explain.

I use the functionality you're questioning.  Each of my rule numbers
(well, not all of them, but most of them) are for specfic things;
such as rule 3000 representing deny SSH attempts from any APNIC
addresses, rule 3001 representing the same but for RIPE, etc. etc..

I have multiple deny entries *per rule number*.

Thus, when I delete one of those rule numbers, I delete all entries
in that rule (e.g. if I have 15 deny statements in rule 3000, if I
delete rule 3000, I delete all 15 of those deny statements).

So please, do not change this behaviour -- it's a useful feature.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |