Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2021 19:38:42 -0500
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing sysutils/polkit dependency from sysutils/libudisks?

Hi,
On 1/17/21 3:17 AM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can you tell us the reason behind this opinion ? Is it generally
> buggy, does polkit violate some general design policy for apps etc ?

* There's one part of polkit, pkexec, which is suid and linked to some
libs that really aren't designed to be used in suid binaries.

* It uses spidermonkey to parse javascript policies, but aparently
doesn't use it correctly[1]. It has a number of open issues[2] which
have been open a while, but aren't addressed.

* The project doesn't look terribly active.

* Merge requests which look ready to commit aren't merged[3].

* The default policy gives everyone in wheel root access.

So, to me, the features it provides don't seem worth it. I have removed
it from my local system with some local patches and it seems to work
fine. I haven't missed it at all. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Steve

1: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/issues/97
2: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/issues