Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:14:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Pinkl <tom@hbsrx.com>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   heterogeneous scsi adapters

Doug Ledford wrote:
> How much simultaneous activity do they see?  In my case, we had a set of
> raid5 drives with 4 of them on aic7xxx and two on buslogic.  It blew up
> on average about once every two or three days but those drives stayed
> quite busy the whole time.  I've heard others have problems putting
> drives on one card, and tape backup on another which is obviously going
> to run simultaneously when backing up the drives.

No problems with that setup here.  I have a Buslogic BT-958 scsi adapter
with three narrow disks and a cd-rom drive, and an Adapter 2940 with
two tape drives.  All devices are internal.  Details below.  I'm running
a stock 2.0.36 kernel as far as the scsi device drivers are concerned.

My backups to the DAT drive complete successfully.  I'm using EST's
BRU software with the autoscan feature (tape verification) enabled.
I'm getting ~200K/sec on tape writes and ~160K/sec on reads.  These
numbers seem low to me, especially for tape reads.

Here are the scsi device details:

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST32155N         Rev: 0594
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST32550N         Rev: 0022
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-ROM CD-516S   Rev: 1.0D
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34501N         Rev: 0015
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TANDBERG Model:  TDC 4222        Rev: =07:
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: HP35480A         Rev: T603
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

--
Thomas J. Pinkl                         738 Louis Drive
Unix Systems Programmer                 Warminster, Pa 18974