Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 16:35:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tape drive problems? maybe?

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Tim Pushor wrote:

Hi Tim !

This doesn't answer your question, but a comment concerning
tar usage...

				    ^---------------- (*)
> cd /somewhere/else ; tar cf /dev/nrst0 *
					 ^----------- (*)

(*) This expands to the files and directories, the shell finds in
    your current directory ... This doesn't backup dot files ...
    A better way doing a complete backup of the current directory
    is in most cases:

	cd /somewhere/else ; tar cf /dev/nrst0 .

					       ^---- !

> Now I am attempting to restore these directories (actually just verify
> that this is happening) with:
> mt rewind
> tar tf /dev/nrst0 > filelist.1
> tar tf /dev/nrst0 > filelist.2
>
> the first one always works (and is the one I backed up first) the second
> one never does. I have tried writing filemarks using mt between the two
> backup procedures.

What happens, when trying 'tar tvf /dev/nrst0' multiple times ?!
Does it then jump to the 2nd volume ?!

> Does anybody know what is going on?

No and I don't have a tape handy .... just a guess.

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de