Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:16:31 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com>
Cc:        Terry <terry@bluelight.org.uk>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD 64 stability

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:57:02AM +0530, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> t> I have a ASUS 64 bit board and cpu spare so was considering using these
> t> with amd64 version. But due to the data centre being 300 mile away i
> t> thought i would check how you guys are finding it first :). Or shall i
> t> play it safe and use the i386 i just can't decide
>
> Do check if your board has any 'known issues':
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

Things are improving pretty rapidly, though.  I note that that
list says that my motherboard (GA-K8NF-9) on-board ethernet
doesn't work (it's an nve).  Well, with 6-STABLE as of a few
weeks ago, it "worked", but seemed to lose interrupts pretty
regularly (with an X2 in dual-core mode), and so go into a
time-out mode.  In my experience, it would always pull out of
that and keep going, but the whole-system pause of a few seconds
was painful, so I'm running a plug-in ethernet card at the
moment.  I expect this problem to go away with time.

My current main bug bear (not a big one) is that there isn't
much third-party driver support for the AMD64 version, yet.  My
Nvidia graphics card is currently running the xorg vesa driver
because (a) the xorg nv driver doesn't always initialize it
properly and (b) NVidia themselves only do FreeBSD-i386.  My OSS
sound card driver only starts in single-processor mode.  At
least they produce an AMD version.  I could get around all of
this by running in i386 mode, but part of the point of this
system is to play with the amd64 instruction set...

The OS itself works beautifully.  For all the comments about
SATA-RAID, well, that may be a problem, but I'm running a pair
of SATA disks and using ccd to stripe the main (non-boot)
partitions together, and it works a bomb.

Cheers,

--
Andrew