Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 12:15:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Charles Green <green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Sound SystemTM (USS) Lite (Formerly VoxWare)

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Charles Green wrote:

> } > We should probably just go with TASD 3.5 which is under a BSDish
> } > copyright and then develop sound ourselves from here on.  At least there
> } > is one bright side to this, we can finally clean up some of the sources so
> } > we don't have #ifdef LINUX #ifdef SYSV #ifdef SCO #BSDI, and the assorted
> } > horrible mess...
> }
> } Sounds good to me!  Any takers? :-)
>
>         Wow!!! VERY bad idea!! This will just create more incompatablities!

The API to USS can't really be covered by that copyright, so we won't have
any incompatibilty problems.  If we develop the sound driver
independantly, then we can still stay 100% compatible with USS Lite.

I really have to agree with Jordan that incorporating USS Lite would be a
mistake.   Since Hannu is now working for ForeFront(sp?) Technologies, I
think we should just consider USS to be a "lost cause" for the base
kernel.  Forefront will still have the FreeBSD version of USS available,
and if they are really commited to provide a USS Lite "Try it before you
buy it" version, then they will provide it.

Sujal