Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:50:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "objtrm" problem probably found (was Re: Stuck in "objtrm")

Doug Rabson wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Peter Jeremy wrote:
 > > That said, it should be fairly simple to change Matt's new in-line
 > > assembler versions to insert LOCK prefixes when building an SMP
 > > kernel.  (Although I don't know that this is necessary yet, given
 > > the `Big Giant Lock').
 >
 > We don't need the lock prefix for the current SMP implementation. A lock
 > prefix would be needed in a multithreaded implementation but should not be
 > added unless the kernel is an SMP kernel otherwise UP performance would
 > suffer.

In my list of i386 clock cycles, the lock prefix is listed with
0 (zero) cycles.  That would mean that it does not affect
performance on UP systems (except that it bloats the kernel by
1 byte for each such macro, which _might_ have negative effect
on the caches in the worst case, but this is not very likely).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)