Date:      Sat, 04 Feb 1995 16:38:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu
Subject:   Re: Still need bdev major number assignment

> I am in the final stages of debugging a driver for the Matsushita CD-ROM
> drive (CR-562 & CR-563) for use with FreeBSD.  This is the drive with
> the proprietary interface that you find on SoundBlaster audio
> cards (sometimes called the Creative/Panasonic interface), as well as
> SB-clone audio cards and standalone CD-ROM interface cards bundled with
> the drives.

Right!  We *need* this driver! :-)

I think, however, that this has already been allocated and reserved in
advance for whomever did the Soundblaster CD driver, and this looks
like it's you! :-)

Bdev:
        { pcdopen,      pcdclose,       pcdstrategy,    pcdioctl,       /*17*/
          pcddump,      pcdsize,        0 }

Cdev:
        { pcdopen,      pcdclose,       rawread,        nowrite,        /*46*/
          pcdioctl,     nostop,         nullreset,      NULL,   /* panasonic cd

It's labeled `panasonic' CD, but to my knowledge what was really meant
was Creative/Panasonic.  You'll notice that a Sony CDU driver is
already in the tree..  So just take 17 and 46, if you can, otherwise
if there's some reason why you can't use the already allocated entries
in conf.c then I'll be happy to create you new ones!

> This double-speed drive is marketed under the names Creative, Reveal,
> and Panasonic, and comes bundled with many types computers.

> You can also read subcodes while playing audio (for CD+G and things)
> as well as read raw redbook (audio) tracks.

Hey, sounds like you did a nice, complete job on this!  This is great!
We've been wanting this driver for _a long time_!

> assigned.   Because of the number of these drives that are out there
> already, this driver could be *very* popular.   Someone at SCO is already
> asking if they can include a port of the driver in their UNIX product.

It is very popular!  I want this driver as soon as you can get it into
my hot, sweaty hands!

> If you need additional details, please let me know.  I would like to
> release something by the end of the month, and not having a major
> number will become a stumbling block pretty soon.

As soon as you can - I'd really like to have this in 2.1!

> Also, please add me to the appropriate FreeBSD development group mailing
> lists.  I suspect my original request was lost, as I haven't seen a single
> piece of mail on the topic.

current@Freebsd.org is a good place to chat about these kinds of
things!  If you're keen to subscribe to it, just send a piece of mail
to majordomo@freebsd.org and say `subscribe current' somewhere in the
body of your message..  When you decide that's too much mail, then you
can send mail saying `unsubscribe current' to majordomo! :-)

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this - I'm very, very, very
keen to have this driver in FreeBSD!

Best regards,

						Jordan