Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:08:44 +0700
From:      Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-201206.rodent.frell.theremailer.net>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On 6/3/2012 10:09, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 01:43:43AM +0200, Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>> So there could be lots of overlap and just looking at the two numbers
>> you posted doesn't really tell the whole story.
> No, I agree that it doesn't.  I was just trying to add an aside, and
> point out that the task would not be trivial.
>
> Since I'm heavily invested in FreeBSD ports I think I need to step back=

> and let other folks comment in this thread.

I manage and support a little over 50 FreeBSD servers (VMWare, Xen and=20
native) and feel that the port system, on the whole, is excellent.  Its=20
easily one of the best features about FreeBSD.   Portaudit reports=20
issues and I can plan and upgrade them as needed.  Portupgrade works=20
great 99% of the time and when it doesn't it has the good sense to roll=20
back what its done.  If there is any question as to what it should do it =

errors and tells me, which is exactly what I want it to do.

I've been a FreeBSD user for about 18 years and supported it=20
professionally for about 10.  In this thread I've read a few posts that=20
contain blanket statements like "ports are broken" and "never work", I'm =

at a loss as to how to respond to this as it is completely counter to my =

experience.   I wish I could see what they were talking about and figure =

out what happened so I could understand what caused them to make such a=20
statement.  It's like they're talking about a different OS than the one=20
I know.

I've written a simple script to run portaudit and pop up a dialog with=20
check boxes that then kicks off portupgrade for the selected ports which =

have issues.   99% of the time its that simple.  This is what I want in=20
a server environment.  I do not want things auto-updating (a.k.a. auto=20
breaking) or making decisions about supporting libraries behind my back. =

   PHP is a good and common example why: an upgrade can and does break=20
web sites that ran fine before.   Updates need to be managed in a=20
process which is outside the scope of the OS (because its a server not a =

desktop).  FreeBSD has all these great tools for managing the mechanical =

action of updating and imposes minimal process which is perfect because=20
I have my own process.  And if things get mucked up (which mostly isn't=20
the ports system fault when it does happen), its easy to back out and=20
re-do if needed.

After reading this thread I am wondering if I should clean the update=20
dialog script up and submit to the ports tree.  It seems like people=20
think the port update process is harder than it is because it lacks a=20
Windows Update like dialog which is essentially what this is akin to=20
(and there might be a port which does this already, too .. anyone?). =20
All the hard stuff has been done by the FreeBSD team, all I did was put=20
a bash/dialog script on it.

I very rarely run into ports that don't build on supported versions of=20
FreeBSD (ie; ones that haven't reached EoL).  I have a number of=20
customers with a few 6.2 boxes [which I can't wait to upgrade] and still =

almost everything builds without tinkering.

All of this is in the scope of servers though (web, DB, application,=20
etc) and not on the desktop.  I haven't used a FreeBSD desktop since=20
probably 4.x, and while I don't begrudge the work people are doing for=20
the desktop experience it just doesn't apply to me nor is it why I love=20
FreeBSD.   I won't say something like "you're running a server OS on=20
your desktop and expecting it to be like a Mac".  What will say is: I'm=20
getting from this thread that a lot of the complaints people have seem=20
to be based around the desktop.  My guess is that this is a super=20
minority of actual use (by server count).

BUT: I feel like people are judging how fit an FreeBSD is for server=20
work by how easy/Mac/Windows/whatever like (as many Linux distros try to =

emulate) it is to update.  Not good ... but it makes sense from a=20
social/human perspective, and is probably another thing we should=20
consider in terms of advocacy.

I'm interested in what people think about this, and yeah this should=20
probably be in the advocacy list but its not so thhblt :P