Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:55:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      olgeni@uli.it
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/26924: sysinstall has problem parsing "dists=" for XFree servers

>Number:         26924
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       sysinstall has problem parsing "dists=" for XFree servers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious

When using an install.cfg script, the following lines can be used to select
a number of components to install:

  dists=bin manpages ... susbin
  distSetCustom

However, there is a problem with the XFree86 server selection. While all
the other X11 related components work fine (from man pages to fonts), the
only XFree86 server than can be installed from install.cfg is XVG16.

>How-To-Repeat:

The easiest way to test the "dists=" parsing is to run this command:

  /stand/sysinstall "dists=XSVGA Xfnts Xfcyr Xlkit Xf100 Xfscl Xfnon Xfsrv Xbin Xcfg Xdoc Xhtml Xlib Xman Xprog Xps Xset" distSetCustom distSetXF86

Then you can use sysinstall's own menu to poke around the selection. You'll
find out that every X11 item has been selected (ok), that XSVGA has not
been selected (bad), while XVG16 has been selected even if it was not
listed in the assignment (bad).

AFAIK, this problem does not affect users who install interactively.

>Fix:

This would require some poking in sysinstall, I guess :o)

Workaround:

You can execute any number of commands from the install.cfg script, using:

  command=...
  system

You can use this kind of command to get any XFree86 server out of the
installation CD:

  tar xfz /dist/XF86336/Servers/XSVGA.tgz -C /usr/X11R6/

The problem applies to X11 servers only, so you can extract them even after
the "Fixing permissions in XFree86 tree" phase: they already have the
proper permissions in the tarballs. X11 servers will go into the bin/
directory as usual.