Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:06:11 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpib driver - does anybody use it?

On Tue, 09-Feb-1999 at 17:00:15 -0700, John Galbraith wrote:
>  > I meant "who's stopping you from committing the driver", not "who's
>  > stopping you from committing the driver to 2.2". I too think 2.2
>  > should be left to die in peace.
>
> Well, before it is committed I would like to see one of you FreeBSD
> wizards to check it over for a half hour first.  My experience with
> FreeBSD is one of rock-solid performance.  I would hate to upset that
> impression for somebody else with this particular chunk of code.  I
> wrote this driver to the best of my abilities, and I think it is good,
> but I don't spend every weekend with the FreeBSD source code like some
> of you guys do.
>
> I can say with 100% certainty that my driver works much faster, more
> reliably, and with more features than the current gp driver
> distributed with FreeBSD for _me_.  This will probably be true for
> most other people as well.  However, that doesn't mean that this code
> is the end all and shouldn't be committed without being checked over
> by one of you FreeBSD-god types.  Maybe this is just my own anxiety
> over my FreeBSD-contributer virgin status, but it seems wise.

Ok, I see, I won't have luck with my wish for 2.2.x :-) However,
if there are enhancements or changes being made in order to bring
it into the 3.x or 4.x tree, please make a short note if these
changes are incompatible with 2.2.x. As I said before, I still
can't use 3.x on a lot of machines here so I have to stick with
2.2.x for a while. (I have problems using runsocks from the socks5
package, but yet haven't figured out if it's my fault).

Thanks a lot,

	-Andre