Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:14:09 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: VESA double buffering and pan and zoom

>In the VESA spec function 07h lets you switch the
>beginning of the video mem to anywhere in the video cards memory space.
>
>This would mean one could easily do double buffering, by writing to the
>right area of memory, then changing the one address, and eliminating
>annoying flicker.  Is this currently supported by FreeBSD?
>
>I am also curious if 06h has been implemented, to allow pan and scrolling to
>be done.

These functions are not currently accessible from the userland via the
vesa module.  However, it is planned that the next update on the video
drivers and the vesa module will add these services.

BTW, the VESA function 06h is not for panning and scrolling.  It's to
change the size of the scan line.  Panning and scrolling are
achieved by the function 07h.

Kazu

PS: in the meantime, I have to fix kernel panic related to screen
savers first ;-<