Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:39:17 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9-PRERELEASE   PAE panics Highpoint Raid module (hpt374.ko)

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:36:47AM -0400, Andrew Atrens wrote:

> The subject says it all.
>
> I preload the module, and during boot I see a panic when it attempts to
> initialise.  100% reproducible. The panic seems to happen in
> pmap_kthread... (mumble) ... I got this from a ddb 'trace' command.

I believe you can't use loadable modules with PAE enabled.
The reason is that modules are not compiled with the
necessary options to make them work with PAE. (And if they were
compiled so they worked with PAE, they wouldn't work in the non-PAE
case.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson