Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 16:29:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bit 7 in filenames

> I'd certainly appreciate all the information you can supply, if you
> don't mind taking the trouble.  I've tested a lot of Linux, Mach,
> NetBSD, and GNU DOS FS-related code in the last few months, and what is
> particularly evident is a lack of rigorous attention to detail.  Besides
> that, even in the generalities, I'm such I could learn a lot from your
> experience.

Stuff directly related to the undocumented interactions of IFS is
the intellectual property of my employer.  So if it's something
that would help you build a Windows95 or WindowsNT FS, I can't
tell you.  8-(.

The lower level BSD FS interface stuff, the lookup interface stuff,
and what is or isn't a legal DOS name, I can give you data on.

The algorithm for name generation has been disclosed elsewhere, so
I don't feel bad about that.

Obviously, since I've been hacking the BSD FS interface since the
late 80's, I can give you any data there as well. 8-).

> > The conversion to parsed-path stuctures greatly aids in use of
> > Unicode and DOS code-page interoperability... you will need to
> > incorporate a number of patches if you expect to be able to
> > support two name binding, lookup, or Unicode storage (We have a
> > UFS where we have made these modifications).
>
> Yes, this is an area in the new vfatfs implementation that still needs
> work.

Yeah, this falls into the BSD FS interface area.  Let me know what
you need on that.  The big issue of Unicode vs. non-Unicode names
coexisting hinges on having the caller clean up the path structures
that it sends down to the FS instead of expecting the FS to do it
for you.  I can send you the patches (or you can pull them off of
freefall -- I submitted themabout a year ago).  Let me know when
you get to this.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---