Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 12:35:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Modem Compatibility

Doug White said:
>On Sun, 10 May 1998, Matt Storch wrote:
>
>> I've tried everything to get PPP working with my SMART Rapid Transit
>> K56flex modem. Neither kernel level or user level ppp work. Since it's a
>> Plug and Play modem, I was wondering: Does FreeBSD work with PnP modems?
>> If so, do you have any suggestions for how to get PPP working, as I've
>> tried everything in the online documentation. If not, is support for
>> them planned for version 3.0?
>
>2.2.6 should (may?) pick it up if you rebuild a kernel with
>
>controller pnp0
>
>If it doesn't try to get the device/vendor ID so we can program it in.

Even if it isn't picked up automatically you can always configure the IRQ &
port using the '-c' option at boot time.  Just make sure the config you
choose doesn't clash with any of your other serial ports (or any other
device for that matter), and that you enable the sio device that you assign
it to. Eg, to put the modem on sio2 you might do something like:

config> pnp 1 0 enable os irq0 5 port 0x3e8

then make sure sio2 is enabled and the modem *should* be detected.  This
works for me on a crusty old pre-PnP 486, but YMMV.

BTW Doug, if I wanted the modem to be autodetected, where would I put the
relevant info?  A quick poke through the kernel sources hasn't revealed
anything, but I am probably looking in the wrong place.

	Scott