Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:10:07 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Carl.Makin@ipaustralia.gov.au
Subject:   IPFW and bridging

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to ask your help with the new BRIDGE kernel option, to use ipfw to
discard packets that will cause *chaos* if they are forwarded (eg DHCP clients
on 2 LANs each with their own DHCP server connected by a transparent bridge ...
clients are offered addresses by both servers, which may not be what you want
...)

Please would you tell me

1 is it possible to bridge based on LLC SAP (eg 0xAA for 802.3 encapsulated IP
packets, 0x04 for SNA etc) ?

2 is it possible to bridge based on any other part of the packets contents. man
ipfw refers to /etc/protocols but my 2,2.8-STABLE router has no such file ?

3 How can I do these things ?

My kernel, 2.2.8-STABLE, has option BRIDGE set, the sysctl options for bridge
are visible, the box has two ed interfaces. The box certainly bridges - as the
DHCP catastophe informed me - but I need to restrain it.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.