Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:02:03 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Vlad GURDIGA <gurdiga@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Registering installation for...

On Jun 4, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

> This is probably due to the new structure of xorg. On my system,
> mplayer
> now depenws on 104 other ports (pkg_info -rx mplayer|grep
> Dependency:|wc -l).

Some dependencies will be counted multiple times that way, try

   pkg_info -rx mplayer|grep Dependency:| sort | uniq | wc -l

to get a more reasonable number.

I don't have mplayer on my system so I can't check that particular
one, but here's another example

  $ pkg_info -rx docproj | grep '^Depend'  | wc -l
      143
  $ pkg_info -rx docproj | grep '^Depend'  | sort | uniq | wc -l
       57

I really have no idea of how the pkg database works so I don't know
whether it treats those duplications wisely.

> I've seen the same with other ports that depend on X. And 'make clean'
> in said ports also takes a while.

I believe that I've seen what seems like needless repetitions of
"cleaning for FOO".

Cheers,

-j