Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:49:17 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "ifconfig -arp" doesn't work?

In message <9607081749.AA00653@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>you write:
>There are a number of different meanings
>one could attribute to IFF_NOARP:
>
>	1) Ignore incoming ARP requests.
>	2) Do not send ARP requests.
>	3) Do not do any ARP processing at all.
>
>The fragment above only attempts to implement (1)

It actually ignores both requests and replies, so the effect is more like (3)
(although it does send ARP requests, it will ignore the replies so they're
completely ineffective).

To actually implement (1) you need to put the "if" after the "reply:" label
(potentially combining it with the one that's already there).

I would have added "and don't let incoming ARP's change my table" to (2).

  Bill