Date:      24 Apr 2002 22:48:02 +1000
From:      Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
To:        Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HTTP Load Balancing and Availability Solutions

Depending on the nature of the project and the availability required I
would only recommend a software based solution for a project that didn't
have a requirement of more than 95% uptime, even with things like
mod_proxy running on 1 web server you are still vulnerable if that one
web server dies, as far as round robin dns goes this is a hack and
should never be used in a production environment as due to the many
broken clients around many will cache the first reply only and as such 1
web server will see a lot higher load than any others.

My recommendation would be should it absolutely have to be done with
software then go with the mod_proxy and a 1 hour ttl for your www
address (anything less than an hour is usually ignored), this way a
replacement box can take over the proxying server inside of an hour
should there be any issues.

Cheers,

Mark

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 22:32, Emre Bastuz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I=B4m looking for a software that does the job of accepting
> HTTP request as a webserver and then distributes these
> to other servers - depending on which one is currently up.
>=20
> We have a customer who wants some kind of failsafe solution.
> Load balacncing is not the main issue - instead we want to
> configure one main webserver, in case this one fails the
> software is supposed to switch over to the other webserver
> for HTML file retrieval.
>=20
> After some quick and dirty lookup in Google I found this
> software called "FreeQualizer" (http://www.coyotepoint.com),
> which sounds nice but is not free.
>=20
> If it=B4s remarkably good, it might be worth giving a try.
> Anyone got any experience with this one ?
>=20
> Before chosing this one though, I=B4d like to know if there
> are other well known and reliable solutions out there.
>=20
> Apache with mod_proxy/mod_rewrite also seems like an alternative
> (I found this interesting article on
> http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Books/ProApache/page6.html) - I=B4m
> not sure if the mod_proxy/mod_rewrite stuff only works for load
> balancing or also can handle outages of the 'backend' servers.
>=20
> Any suggestions ? Ideas ? URL=B4s ? :)
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Emre
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Emre Bastuz
> info@emre.de=20
> 	    http://www.emre.de
> UIN: 561260		PGP Key ID: 0xEA0E2CA1
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Mark Sergeant
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
=20
L=F4=F4kSmart International Pty. Ltd.
Level 5/388 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
Australia=20
P. (03) 9648 2201=20
F. (03) 9648 2244=20
http://www.looksmart.com.au

The referring document contains privileged and confidential information.
If
you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take
action with regards to the content, we request that you notify LookSmart
International Pty. Ltd. immediately and remove all traces of this
document.=20
except where they are specifically stated to be the views of LookSmart=20
International Pty. Ltd.