Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 11:42:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      rene@freeze.iaf.nl (Rene de Vries)
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp (Atsushi Murai), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (freebsd-hackers)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Subject:   Re: PPP problems connection to a Windows-NT server

Thanx to All of you!

The question I posted some weeks ago about connecting a FreeBSD (2.0.5)
machine (a 386DX/40 with 8Mb :-() to a Windows NT server has been solved.

I thank all of you for bearing with me......

The problem was:

	Connect a FreeBSD machine to a Windows NT server using PPP and PAP.

The solution is:

	Use iij-ppp and turn the request for authorisation off by disabeling
	BOTH chap and pap, but accept pap and deny chap.

How this solution was reached:

	By trial and error!
	The Windows NT server we HAVE to use is configured in such a way
	it both supported chap and pap. The disadvantage of this was that
	it first suggested chap and than pap, the chap of Windows NT does
	not seem to be compatible (just a guess) with the chap of FreeBSD
	(international version WITHOUT des).
	The second problem was that if you enable pap the iij-ppp requests
	a remote authorisation (which the Windows NT server was not willing
	to do).

Notes and Remarks:

	A Windows NT server sends some packages which are not understood by
	the iij-ppp (and the pppd), both FreeBSD implementations just reject
	those packages, so there should be no problem. I think these packages
	are invented by Microsoft (Arg Arg...).

Bye,
	Rene de Vries

PS: I would have liked to be able to solve this problem by using the famous
    RTFM algorithm, but unfortunately I can't read Japanees ;-)

|- |_| |- |-  / |-  Rene de Vries                           rene@freeze.iaf.nl