Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:14:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 971026 wouldn't let me set timezone

On Mon, Oct 27, 1997 at 06:40:27PM -0500, Evan Champion wrote:
>> I don't understand.  What do you mean by "setting the timezone"?
>> Assuming that you're on the US East Coast, you would do something
>> like:
>

> As I wrote in the original message, I'm saying that sysinstall won't let me
> do it.  The timezone-setting option in sysinstall seems to be a no-op; you
> click on it, and absolutely nothing happens.  It's supposed to bring up that
> menu that lets me pick what country etc. I'm in, and nothing at all happens.

Ah, now I understand.  I haven't kept the original message, but I
can't recall seeing a mention of sysinstall.  If I missed that, my
apologies.

>>> It also failed installing one of the XFree card-specific servers (sorry,
>>> don't remember which one).
>>
>> Well, you can't really expect anybody to help you then, can you?
>

> Maybe I won't report it next time and then it really won't help anyone.
>
> After spending 5 hours trying to load FreeBSD the last thing I thought of
> was "gee, maybe I should write that one down."  If I'm lucky, -current will
> eat itself, and I can enjoy another 5 hours of downloading, and maybe I will
> write it down next time.

Sure, I can understand that you get a bit frustrated after lots of
messing around.  It happens to all of us.  But seriously, what do you
expect anybody to be able to do with a statement like the one above?

> The file exists but it fails gunzip'ing after a couple hundred K, so all
> that should be required is for someone to go to the XFree86 dist and gzip -t
> everything (which probably isn't such a bad idea in general as the XFree
> distribution doesn't get updated very often).  I tried reloading the file 3
> times so I'm sure it's not a figment of my computer's imagination...

Yes, but it could be on your CD-ROM.  You could have done the gzip -t
yourself.

BTW, your mailer mauls text.  Note the >>> quotes above?  This is a
"feature" of many Microsoft mailers.  I've been told you can turn it
off, but I don't know how.

Greg