Date:      Thu,  8 Feb 2001 07:21:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kaltorak@quake.com.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports updating... Good ways?

Well, just to defend myself...

I find that pkg_version -c is a useful tool for helping me do
upgrades.  I do put the result in a file and do the appropriate thing.
Sometimes I do make the wild leap of not rebuilding all of Gnome or
something like that when a library has a .1 version upgrade.  It does
work fairly well for self contained ports.

I do agree that something better is needed - one issue is the way that
the ports system tracks dependencies.  If the dependency was tracked
in the dependent port rather than the other way around (in other
words, the ports notes that it needs the library rather than the
library noting that it is needed by another port) then the whole
upgrade issue would be simpler as you could actually make multiple
scans over the dependencies until everything was in order.  Right now
the dependency information is 'lost' if you ugrade a library.  Also,
say, upgrading X with the current system will cause huge amounts of
things to be rebuilt - these ports depend on X but not the version.

Ideally a combination of moving the dependency data and indicating
major vs. minor upgrades for libraries and such would make for a
rather nice system.  By minor I mean an updgrade for a library that
does internal bug fixes but doesn't change the external interface.

- Mike H.