Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:33:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Robert <robert@namodn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doing 1024x768 in X

On Monday, 14 December 1998 at 23:29:35 +0000, Robert wrote:

> My friend is using a Sony Trinitron Multi-Scan HG monitor and a Diamond
> Stealth II s220 using X11R6 3.3.2 ..
>
> He gets a screwy-looking screen when he switches to 1024x768, looks
> basically correct 'cept for massive flicker..
>
> He bought the monitor for an outrageously low amount at the flea market,
> and has no manual.
>
> Right now it is set to
> 31.5, 35.15, 35.5; Super VGA, 1024x768 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 800x600 @ 56 Hz
>
> Perhaps these are the incorrect refresh rates?

These figures don't look like anything out of XF86Config.  The best
thing to collect is the output from xinit or startx when you start;
it'll give you the exact information.

> If anyone is using this monitor/knows the correct settings, or perhaps
> another known problem (?), thanks in advance..

Well, you haven't told us the model of the monitor yet.  Sony has made
many of differing quality even at the same time.  Check the panel on
the rear, and see if you can find any corresponding information in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors.  It's really important to do this;
even if it's a cheap monitor, it could be a good one, and it would be
a pity to ruin it.  My cheapest monitor was a Nanao/Eizo 9500 (20"),
at a time when they were rare as hen's teeth.  I got it for free
because the owner thought he couldn't use it.

Greg