Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:19:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   UDF, userfs

I have made a couple of posts to hackers, that probably should have gone
here to fs.  I and thinking about implementing a UDF filesystem.  The plan
I am considering, is to implement a "userfs" to allow me to do most of the
work in a user process.

I have been thinking about the userfs implementation.  I will need some
way for the user process to talk the backend of the userfs kernel code.
The two ways I have thought of are I/O,, probably ioctl's or a new system
call.

I assume that it is possible, using a module to add an entry to the
syscall table, but I lean more towards a new pseudo device to hang the
ioctl's off of.

I would be ineterested in any comments.  I would also like to hear from
anybody who has thought about a userfs implementation for FreeBSD.

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat