Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:10:42 +0100
From:      Terje Thogersen <terje.thogersen@hda.hydro.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        terje.thogersen@hda.hydro.com
Subject:   od0(ahc1:4:0)Target Busy, or : My OD-disk times out continuosly

Hi all!

I have FreeBSD 2.1.5 release running on an Cyrix6x86-P150, QDI MB, with an
Adaptec 3940 (no U or W) host-adapter. I also have a Fujitsu 2511A 128 MB od
disk.

I enabled the od driver, and if I tried to read 240.000 bytes from the disk,
I'd get about 100 "od0(ahc1:4:0)Target Busy".

I poked about a bit, and found the "OD_BOGUS_TIMEOUT" kernel parameter, which
looked promising. However, the problem still persists. (yes, after config,
make/install kernel + boot)

After looking through the code, I found the "Target Busy" in the driver for
the Adaptec. I've also found the #ifdef OD_BOGUS_TIMEOUT in the od driver.

Problem is : what is the connection between the two? An almost blind guess is
that the ahc drives sees the bogus timeout problem and reports it before the
od-driver can mask it?

Another guess is that this is in fact a real timeout, since the od disk of
course slower than a disk. The problem is then : How can I up the timeout for
the od-drive?

So : Is the OD_BOGUS_TIMEOUT stuff the problem, and how can we fix this,
or is this a real timeout, and how can I up the timeout for the od?

Regards,
  -Terje
Terje Thøgersen, IS Advisor     | E-mail : terje.thogersen@hydro.com
Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Finance  | Tel    : +47-2243 2100