Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:56:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Boris <koester@x-itec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: GRRRRRRRRR COMPILER ERRORS

From the keyboard of Boris:

> left for my project(s). This was 5 days ago, and now i can slowly
> begin working again, and i know that i would never again compile the
> kernel with i4b in the next month. Bah...
>
> As I said, just update the src with cvsup and try to compile it with
> i4b (the rel4-stable branch). HAVE FUN -(((( A suggestion to everyone,
> just try it ...

Since you still refuse to supply a complete bug report and instead are
blaming the FreeBSD-stable developers in general and the i4b developers
in special i tried to reproduce your problems here:

The machine is
   FreeBSD hmnote.hcs.de 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1: Thu Dec 14
   17:34:54 CET 2000 root@hmnote.hcs.de:/usr/src/sys/compile/HMNOTE i386

Running config(8) with your configuration posted earlier with an unmodified
FreeBSD-stable results in an unknown ifpi device error. This is expected
since the i4b in 4.2-STABLE does not support the ifpi device. Instead of
referring to a report from you i have to guess you overinstalled i4b
0.96.00 to the source tree.

Overinstalling i4b 0.96.00 shows no errors, all files are setup and patched
correctly, your kernel config file configures without problems and the
resulting kernel is build without any problems:

  [...]
  cc -elf -shared -nostdlib hack.c -o hack.So
  rm -f hack.c
  sh ../../conf/newvers.sh GENERICBK
  cc -c -O -pipe -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include  -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  vers.c
  linking kernel
  2742415  224144  191944 3158503  3031e7 kernel
  <ROOT@hmnote>/sys/compile/BORIS uname -a
  FreeBSD hmnote.hcs.de 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1: Thu Dec 14 17:34:54 CET 2000     root@hmnote.hcs.de:/usr/src/sys/compile/HMNOTE  i386
  <ROOT@hmnote>/sys/compile/BORIS

As you see, there is zero (repeat: Z E R O) problems in getting an 4.2-STABLE
kernel configured and compiled with your kernel configuration file.

> Still no solution for this:

Perhaps you might have overread an earlier mail from me, i'm repeating
it here for your convenience:

  Anyway, in case you want to try again in a more polite manner, don't forget
  to give a complete bug report consisting at least of: the FreeBSD version
  you are using, the i4b version you are using, whether you use the bundeled
  i4b version or have overinstalled another i4b version, your kernel config
  file and the list of steps taken to get i4b installed so far.

Please start interacting in a professional manner with people who might
be able to help you and stop blaming and insulting others for your inablity
to handle situations like the one you have - obviously - put yourself into.

Have a nice day,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77