Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:22:30 -0600 (CST)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM MTA-3230 m-o drive

okay, now that i'm back on the net....

I have managed to get my IBM MTA-3230 3.5" m-o drive working by playing with
the dipswitches on the drive [type 0 as opposed to type 7], but have a problem
now that only happens under freebsd [2.0,5, and 2.1.0].

when I reboot, my aha-1542cf or the drive doesn't seem to reset properly.  The
scsi bios will see a drive there, but will not be able to get any info from
the drive [name, type, etc], freebsd will boot and say it is a type 0, fixed,
unknown name, but come up with the proper geometry.  mounting is possible in
this state, but it may be indicative of a bigger problem.

The only known fix for this is to power down both the system and the drive,
bring up the drive, then the system, in that order.  just powering down the
system will not fix the problem.

I do not seem to remember this happening with the AHA-2940W controller under
2.0.5.

Any ideas?

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or