Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disktab entry for Seagate ST-19171W (Barracuda 9)

On 12-Oct-99 at 14:52, J Wunsch (j@uriah.heep.sax.de) wrote:
> As patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
>
> >      CDB: a 0 8 20 a 0
> >      asc 47,0
> >      write error: 2048
> >      parity error in vendor replacable unit 3
>
> Hmm, that's a question to the SCSI experts here.  If i read this
> correctly, it doesn't mean a parity error in the SCSI transport (which
> would be bad cabling etc., and which should cause a parity error
> _message_ in response), but rather a parity error inside the target,
> reported as an error _condition_ by the target.
>
> That's probably time to obtain the SCSI reference manual from Seagate
> and see for which exact condition they're reporting this error
> condition...  Maybe it's easier to try reformatting the device first
> (which will cause bad block replacement to be performed).

It turned out to be cableing after all.  The mostly-hidden-by-other-
equipment 3' cable that came with the Exabyte turned out on examination
to actually be a 2m cable.  (Actually 2.05m measured from the tips of
the pins)  Add in the 3' cable to the disk, and the mandated fraction
for each connector/device, and I wind up either right on or just over
the maximum allowed cable length.  A little creative equipment shuffling
to allow the 2m cable to be replaced by another 3' cable; and all is
well.

I'd still like to find a disktab entry for the Barracuda 9 (ST-19171W).
In particular, I'd like advice on the geometry settings.  The boot-time
probe reports it as:

	8683MB (17783112 512 byte sectors: 64H 32 S/T 8683C)

But the drive specs indicate 20 heads and only 17773440 sectors.  (I
won't bother with the track/cylinder count since it appears to vary
the number of sectors per track.)

I'm guessing that the extra 9672 sectors might be those reserved for
bad-block replacement; and that the sector total reported on the Seagate
spec page only counted 'user' sectors.  (But it would be nice to have
that confirmed by someone more knowlegable.)

My real question is would I get any performance gain if I change the
geometry to 20H to match the drive spec; or should I just leave it
at 64H?  What would be the potential disadvantages of changing it?

Thanks,
-Pat