Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:40:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Wang <brian@vividnet.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR0+IBM DORS-32160 WA0A 2 gigs HD - assertion "cp" failed

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Brian Wang writes:
>  > 	I am getting some messages via dmesg complainting about assertion
>  > "cp" failed.  The server runs fine, and does seem to operate quiet normal
>  > except from these errors coming from "ncr.c" (error outputs included at
>  > the end of this email). Should I just start replacing the SCSI subsystem?
>
>  > sd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0b65a00.
>  > assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5563
>
> Oh well, the DORS shows that kind of problem ?
>
> How often do these messages occur ?
>
> Please try with Tagged Command Queueing disabled:
>
> # ncrcontrol -s tags=0
>
> and let me know, whether that fixes the problem.
>

> I'll have a 53c875 + DORS drive soon, since I want
> to use these devices as the base for the reworking
> of the NCR driver (addition of Ultra-SCSI support).
>
> Up to now, I always choose devices that did not
> fail, and it seems that the DORS is finally a drive
> that I can expect to show errors on my development
> system, giving me a chance to understand why a modern
> drive does not work correctly with tags ...
>
> Regards, STefan

	Yes, DORS it is, and my first IBM SCSI drive.  These assertion
"cp" failed messages happened twice.  The first time occured during
FreeBSD installation, and the second during its first day operation (2 out
of 2, so it is quiet often... ). Tag command queuing is off now, and lets
see if that fixes it.  Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

Brian Wang