Date:      Mon, 07 May 2018 20:54:29 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        "Baptiste Daroussin" <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, "Ian Lepore" <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes -- can't install pkg

On Mon, 7 May 2018 09:56:16 +0200 "Baptiste Daroussin" <bapt@FreeBSD=2Eorg> s=
aid

> On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 10:47:36AM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-05-05 at 08:26 -0700, Chris H wrote:
> > > On Fri, 04 May 2018 22:57:52 -0700 <bsd-lists@BSDforge=2Ecom> said
> > >=20
> > > OK the only reference[1] I can find regarding this, indicates that
> > > answering "Y"
> > > to Allow missmatch now? resulted in an ABI mismatch that caused
> > > pkg(8) to be
> > > unusable=2E
> > > This is on an older version of 12, so I don't have anything that
> > > might have
> > > appeared in UPDATING=2E I really need this jail to resolve accumulating
> > > pr(1)'s
> > > on ports(7) I maintain=2E
> > >=20
> > > Thank you=2E
> >=20
> > The difference between 1200062 and 1200054 isn't going to affect
> > anything except modules which are intimate with kernel internals, such
> > as video drivers or virtualbox type stuff=2E
Thanks, Ian=2E Glad to hear it=2E
> >=20
> > IMO, this new version checking done by pkg(8) is just bad Bad BAD=2E The
> > only control you get is a knob that tells you to ignore any version
> > mismatch=2E There appears to be no option to get the historical worked-
> > really-well behavior of ignoring mismatches of the minor version for
> > people who track -current=2E
> >=20
>=20
> Except you devs are looking at it with a -CURRENT usage in mind=2E
>=20
> Most of our users are running releases=2E
>=20
> And you end up with en issue when let's say FreeBSD 10=2E0 is EOLed then th=
> packages are now built on 10=2E1, if people continue running 10=2E0 because f=
or
> instance they missed the notice about the 10=2E0 being EOL, they end up
> installing
> packages that may be broken: new libc symbols for example, new syscalls e=
tc=2E
>=20
> This check was one of the number 1 request over the last 3 years=2E=2E=2E
> For all people running -CURRENT they can add IGNORE_OSVERSION=3Dyes=2E
>=20
> More over, I received so many false bug report because actually developpe=
rs
> were
> reporting "pkg is broken!!!" because they run pkg upgrade on a current
> system
> that was 6+ month old or running pkg upgrade just after an ABI change tha=
t I
> consider this warning worth it=2E
>=20
> The only thing I would accept considering here is an advice on how to mak=
> the
> tests more smooth for -CURRENT users=2E I consider an IGNORE_OSVERSION to b=
> good
> enough=2E
>=20
> I might change in next versions of pkg the runtime OSVERSION detection
> reading
> /bin/ls binary to be replaced by uname(1) to make it more friendly with
> incremental rebuild=2E
Thanks for the reply, Bapt!
I hear your point, and it seems reasonable=2E But I have a couple nits;
1) Adding IGNORE_OSVERSION=3Dyes to make=2Econf(5) had no affect=2E
2) Would it be remotely possible for the error to be slightly more
informative?
As it stands, it appears that in order to use pkg(8) in this situation=2E
Ones *only* option is to answer Y=2E IMHO this seems wrong=2E

Thanks again!

--Chris