Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:55:10 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysorg: sys/modules

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> >This pushes us back to a single filename namespace, which is
> >less than a wonderful idea. 8(
>
> We're always going to have that so long as we continue to expect
> static linkage to work.

A convincing, if brief, argument.

Let's rip it out; it has always been a barrier to progress,
not to mention the lack of a dlopen() in many programs which
need one, simply because they are statically linked.

I guess it would be nice if linkinging libraries against
libraries, and the "ldd" comand worked everywhere, too.

I'm sold.

-- Terry