Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:13:45 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binary upgrade vs src

> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:01:31 -1000 (HST)
> From: Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
>
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > > Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:53:09 -1000 (HST)
> > > From: Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
> > >
> > > 	Hmmm, I thought all you really had to do was to update the /etc
> > > with your own settings and compile a new kernel with your own config and
> > > that should work.
> >
> > In many cases, that's it, but there are lots of possible issues. Do you
> > run BIND? LPRng? Postfix? ... Any of these would make re-building with
> > a custom /etc/make.conf essential. And, don't forget to update you
> > kernel config file as per the new LINT file. Something may well have
> > changed.
> >
> > I also use the CPUTYPE option. This is not a recommendation to use it,
> > but crypto is possibly faster with it and all of connections to other
> > systems are encrypted, so this might actually be worthwhile for me.
>
> 	I do run bind, LPRng but not postfix.  Those take me only about 2
> hours to get in including a custom kernel.  I've done this since
> 2.2-RELEASE up to 4.3-RELEASE and it's just a bit harder than -CURRENT
> since I have to manually compare my old /etc tree with the new one and
> merge my settings in.  As for bind, all I do is run the configure script
> and then build and install which takes about 5 minutes.  I haven't tried
> the CPUTYPE option though.

You don't want to use CPUTYPE if you will be doing any cross building
for platforms of different CPU types. I've had zero problems on either
my K6-3 or P2 systems, but others have. YMMV

This sort of thing is all under he category of "what works for
you". If I was running LPRng (and I am), I'd want to have the system
build without lpr (NO_LPR=true). But you can always go back and delete
or rename the files.

I guess I just feel better when I build the system myself.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)