Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:32:03 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, root@ihack.net, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Competition

> > Whilst this has gone on long enough, I just want to make one comment here.
> >
> > The person to whom you're replying to in the email ago is allegedly being
> > "blocked" from sending email to freebsd.org and whilst that's fine, it is
> > hardly fitting to reply to such an email in such a way that only select
> > parts of it are made public - sort of like replying to a private email on
> > public lists.  IMHO, either that email should be forwarded on or public
> > references (including this one) to it should be deleted.
>
> Uhm, Darren, where do you see any "blocking" of sending email to
> freebsd.org?  If you mean mail.netbsd.org being blocked by postfix,
> it's not.  If you mean "root@ihack.net" address, it's not, either.

Actually, "ihack.net" *is* being blocked.  Because it's not set up
correctly.

Aug 22 00:21:34 hub postfix/smtpd[42146]: connect from r94aag002979.sbo-smr.ma.c
able.rcn.com[209.6.183.136]
Aug 22 00:21:35 hub postfix/smtpd[42146]: 5567A37B42C: client=r94aag002979.sbo-s
mr.ma.cable.rcn.com[209.6.183.136]
Aug 22 00:21:37 hub postfix/smtpd[42146]: reject: RCPT from r94aag002979.sbo-smr
.ma.cable.rcn.com[209.6.183.136]: 450 <lop-nor.ihack.net>: Helo command rejected
: Host not found; from=<root@ihack.net> to=<freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>

I think that someone needs to take an introductory DNS class, and perhaps
a class in reading mail headers as well, since each and every one of
these would have resulted in a verbose bounce giving the exact cause of
the problem.

> > That such filtering of email exists is disgusting in many ways but is not
> > a topic I want to go into since no side is without blame.
> >
> > Darren

Actually, what this filtering serves to achieve is to reduce the immense
amount of spam that you would otherwise receive as a subscriber to the
FreeBSD lists.  It's an irritating side-effect that people with
misconfigured mail setups can't communicate with freebsd.org accounts
(this hurts me quite a bit, actually), but I'll trade it for not having
to wade through a 20-30% spam quotient in my inbox every morning.