Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:49:28 -0800
From:      Phil Staub <phils@ke7hc.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw by MAC

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:11:54PM -0800, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 07:02:02PM -0800, John F Cuzzola wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Does the latest version of FreeBSD allow you to create ipfw rules based
> > on MAC address instead of IP?
>
> No.

This sort of prompts a question I've been wondering about since the
@Home->attbi.com transition: Has anyone addressed the issue of
configuring a firewall with a DHCP-assigned outside IP address?

I had been using hard-coded IP addresses in my firewall, because even
though @Home was theoretically using DHCP for IP address assignment,
it never changed, and the lease timeout was set really long, (I think
it was a month or more) so "pretending" to have a static IP worked ok.

When I was switched to attbi.com, the DHCP lease period has been
reduced to 2 days, increasing the probability that someday my link
will be down when it comes time for a lease renewal, and I'm assuming
that I very likely would get a different IP address when the link
returns. If that happens, it means reworking the firewall rules with
the new IP address. Not an incredible burden, given the generally good
uptime I've experienced with the cable modem, but if it could be
eliminiated or automated, I'd like to do so. I suppose that tying the
firewall rules to the MAC address would be one way of doing that, but
since that isn't supported, I'm curious if anyone has come up with a
different way of doing it.

Thanks,
Phil

--