Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 18:47:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Subject:   Ideas on CD changers sought

Something that's on my back-burner for quite some time now:

A friend gave me a Nakamichi CD changer some time ago, since its
behaviour under FreeBSD is a little undesirable.  People probably have
seen my recent commits (send the `start unit' command earlier, and
retry `device is in the process of becoming ready' forever) which make
it work a little better.

However, there's still one big problem: concurrent access to the
various CDs.  Even two processes using two CDs concurrently now cause
the device to basically start thrashing: the accesses to the media get
intermixed to a degree where the device is finally mostly busy with
swapping media, instead of transferring data.  Now the $ 9.99 question
is: what's the best way to avoid this, so some more transfers will be
queued up for one device first, before the LUNs should change?  Should
this be CD driver specific, or are other drivers also in need for
this?

--
cheers, J"org