Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:09:58 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nick Hibma <nick@van-laarhoven.org>
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:19, Nick Hibma wrote:
> > 1)  SMP scalability.  4-way boxes are relatively common, and
> > hardware with higher CPU counts is only going to get more and
> > more common. I'm no industry expert, but 5 years from now will my
> > clients be considering buying 32 and 64 way boxes?  Possibly.
> > Will FreeBSD be in a positiion to compete favorably vs. the
> > alternatives on such hardware?
>
> People have been working on this for years. It's a difficult thing
> to get right. Sun has been spending a *LOT* of time doing this for
> Solaris, and I bet that even Linux isn't there yet.

Linux actually scales very well in this area.  My friends in the
supercomputer business tell me that people are successfully using
linux on 1024-way SSI boxes.  It doesn't scale quite as well as IRIX,
but a lot of people opt for linux anyways.

For instance, NASA Columbia, which is a cluster of 20 512-way SSI
Altix's is successfully running linux, and comes in #8 on
top500.org's supercomputer list.

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2006/june/altix4700.html
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/stream_mail/2006/0012.html

--