Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        (bryan d. o'connor) <bryan@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: memory corruption?

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 20-Oct-97, bryan d. o'connor
wrote:

>when i try to do a make world, though, it will fail at least 75%
>of the time, all in different places.  it will complain about symbols
>not being found or variables not being defined... the problem is
>that the symbol or variable name is not correct..  for example --
>gcc will complain:
>    "300: foo_bar_wymbol not defined"
>and at line 300 it will instead be "foo_bar_symbol".  or last night
>ld complained:
>    "ld: Ùb: No such file or directory"
>
>i'm guessing that there some sort of memory corruption going on.

You got it in one.

This sounds like some kind of memory problem.  It could either be bad
memory, or misconfigured memory and/or motherboard.  Does it happen at
random times (i.e. it doesn't always give the same error, on the same file
and line?)

This happened to me once, when overclocking the CPU (it couldn't take it,
reducing the cpu back to published specs made it work fine), and once with
a misconfigured memory bus (timings/interrupts/etc were set wrong).

You might also want to check your GCC executables and all related pieces,
to make sure they didn't get somehow clobbered.

You wouldn't happen to use an AMD K6 CPU, would you? :)

>it only seems to happen when i'm doing a make world. (granted,
>i haven't compiled much else on this system, though)

Compiling is generally a LOT more cpu-intensive than just running
programs (except maybe for real math0intensive stuff like raytracing).
'make world' is even more demanding than compiling most (smaller)
packages.  I've seen systems where I could compile some stuff (elm, pine,
etc. reliably, but make world bursts into flames.

>i also sometimes get these messages about wd0:
>  fegmania /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
>  fegmania /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
>(but not necessarily all the times that "make world" dies)

>could i have a bad drive that's causing me swap problems?
>where do i begin to track down this problem?

Bad drive could be it, but given your other symptoms, I'd tend to think
bad motherboard configuration.  Do you run some other OS on the machine
(e.g. Windows, Linux...?)  Is it giving you problems?

>(also... i try to check my swap with "pstat -T" and it tells me
>  pstat: sysctl: KERN_VNODE: No such file or directory
>did i miss some configuration needed for stable?)

Hmm, is your vnode device (pseudo-device vn in the config file) configured
in?  If it is, then I'd definitely say there's some weirdness going on...

- ---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.