Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 11:13:17 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD beats SCO at its own game

Hello all.

I have seen brian's history...

My history is quite the same...

A Small banking company 1 central and 4 "sites" are all running SCO with
a cobol application based on mfcobol.

They had the same problems reported by brian: slow, lots of backups,
system crashes, loss of data, bad network support...

I was asked to "restore" the data files after a system crash, and have
the oportunity to install a FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a small pentium 100 (taiwan) as
a backup machine with 2GB ide.

Once the network operations moved to FreeBSD with nameserver, nis server,
ppp, slip, web server and ftpd, I was asked if the applications would run
on the FreeBSD.
I compile the kernel with SCO support, installed the sco compatible
shared libs from a Linux compat source, and the system starts to run.

Now there is only ONE SCO remaining, the 4 agencies are moving to FreeBSD
all linked together with ppp.

Samba is working as a lan manager server making integration with the
office pack on windows, without the use of pc-tcp or other software.

Now I am buying applixware as a office pack if it works, will replace the
windows machines that will run FreeBSD or Linux 2.0.

Now the banking company is asking for Compaq prosignia 300 as server for
running FreeBSD.

Drawbacks: The SCO people does not talk to me any more.

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult.