Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:49:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Lyndon M. Realubit" <ljmrealubit@digitelone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD 3.2

--TiqCXmo5T1hvSQQg

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:44:53PM +0800, Lyndon M. Realubit wrote:

> In no apparent reason, I have used my 4-disc of FreeBSD 3.2 since I bough=
t=20

Err -- do you mean that you have /not/ used it?=20

> it.  I read the book but now I want to install it.  Now my question, if I=
=20
> install them is there a long shot to get by CSV the new FreeBSD 5.2.1=20
> kernel and porting other supporting softwares.  What steps should I do to=
=20
> eventually have the new release? Reading the handbook on-line, I found th=
at=20
> it confusing how to compile the FREEBSD either by the old way or the new=
=20
> way.

You can certainly install FreeBSD-3.2 if you have appropriate
hardware.  Remember that there won't be much support (if any) in 3.2
for anything that has been introduced in the last 5 or so years (3.2
was released in May 1999).

If you succeed in building a 3.2 system, please don't expose it to the
Internet without due care and attention.  There were several nasty
security holes closed in that and later versions: even worse, by now,
it's so old that security fixes don't get backported to it.

You can almost definitely use a 3.2 system to download the 5.2.1
sources via cvsup(1) [not CSV -- that's "comma separated values", a
text format for columnar data...]  However, once you've got the 5.2.1
sources, there's not a lot else you can do with them.  You won't be
able to compile 5.2.1 directly on 3.2, nor will you be able to upgrade
in one jump.

I think your best bet is to put away your 3.2 CDs as of historical
interest only.  To install 5.2.1, either download one of the iso
images and cut your own CD, or make yourself some install floppies.
You can install the whole system over the net quite readily -- there
are detailed instructions here:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

The 5.2.1 floppy images are at:

   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.2.1-RELEASE/floppies/

and you need kern.flp and mfsroot.flp images, plus possibly the
drivers.flp image depending on your hardware.  See the README.TXT and
DRIVERS.TXT files in that directory.

To find .iso images to download, use the mirrorlist.freebsd.org
service:

    http://mirrorlist.freebsd.org/FBSDsites.php

The minimum you need is the 'bootonly.iso' (21184Kb) which gives you a
bootable CD-Rom with sysinstall(8) -- to use this, from within
sysinstall you'll setup a network connection and then download
everything else for the rest of the system over the net.

the bootonly.iso, plus all of the system.  You won't get an X-Windows
environment or anything like that: just the console.  No ports or
extra packages.  With this disk you can do a minimal install, and then
setup cvsup(1) to pull down system sources, the ports tree etc.

Third option is to grab the disc1.iso (659328), which is basically
miniinst.iso + some popular packages.  The disk2.iso (268416Kb) is not
usually needed unless things go horribly wrong -- it contains a live
filesystem image which you can boot into and use to fix an otherwise
unbootable system.

Even so, there will not be many 3rd party packages bundled with these
=2Eiso's.  Vendors like http://www.freebsdmall.com/ or
http://www.bsdmall.com/ will happilly sell you a 4-disk set: this
consists of the disk1 and disk2 iso images as above, with all spare
space and another two disks jam packed with extra 3rd party software.
Mind you, even that is nowhere near a complete copy of the available
packages -- you'ld need 11 or 12 CD-Roms to provide that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way