Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:48:47 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Dell 1850 with DRAC4 management card?

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 05:22:04PM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:

> Vivek Khera wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 6, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know about the DRAC with FreeBSD, but I assume that the  BIOS of
> >> this Dell still supports BIOS redirection to serial port. If so,  you can
> >> have Monitor and Keyboard connected locally and use the serial console
> >> remote.
> >> Just get a small console server (depending on the amount of servers  you
> >> have remote), for instance an old cyclades TS. Connect them and you  can
> >> get on your serial port through the console server via ssh.

Thanks all for the replies - this is good stuff.

I have been thinking about something like that - we have a bunch of old Sun
boxes with their serial ports chained together for console access, would be
nice to have that done properly.  On the other hand the Windows guys seem
to really like the DRAC cards on the Dells they look after.

> > I've never enabled the DRAC card on any dell I have that came with  them...
> >
> I'd rather stick with a good old console which I can access remotely via
> ssh, too.

I agree that is the best way.  Sun have got this right on their Opteron
servers: Ethernet port for the management board, ssh access into that then
just start a console session.

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon