Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:06:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook status

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Jim Mock wrote:

> Here's the latest batch of handbook related info.  If I'm missing
> anything (i.e., you're working on something and I don't have it listed
> here, let me know).

I would like to add my $0.02 in l10n area.

It's too early to start a Polish doc translation project,
but I think that we - and other "Latin 2" people - deserve
a decent handbook entry.

When I stared to work with existing Russian handbook entry,
I noticed that I only have to change locale names (from ru_RU
to pl_PL) and few details. I suppose that setup for Czech,
Slovak, Hungarian and other Central-Eastern Europe countries
is very similar, so one would write just a handbook entry about
general FreeBSD locale system and prepare set of tables
for Polish, Czech, Russian, etc. users. I think that other
ISO 8859-1, ISO 8859-5 etc. nations can also be included.

I have found some decent resources, like ISO 8859-2 page:
http://sizif.mf.uni-lj.si/linux/cee/iso8859-2.html (it's in English,
folks) and perhaps some notes for countries using ISO 8859-2 standard
can be useful.

Perhaps FreeBSD should have a generic "country" switch in rc.conf
allowing the user to load prepared and tested configuration
for his country (including font, keyboard, $LANG setup, etc.).

Anyway, is any reorganization of the l10n chapters planned?
Any volunteers to help?

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>